In this era of the digital revolution, desktop applications are perceived as the best tools to create a unified working environment and expeditious performance. If your corporation is going through a lull period in business, it’s high time to start looking for expert assistance with desktop application development.
Before delving into the benefits that can be reaped by well-planned desktop applications, let’s first go through what are desktop applications and what distinguishes them from web-based applications.
• What are desktop applications? Fundamentally, these are software programs that can be run on stand-alone computers to perform specific tasks by end-users. They are deployed on a computer or laptop and use system resources to perform assigned functions. These programs are developed to run on operating systems such as Microsoft Windows, Linux, and macOS.
•Desktop Applications vs Web-based Applications
Contrary to web-based applications, these applications cannot be accessed via an internet browser so the installation of the software is usually a manual process. However, the continuous updates that such applications require can be published through the Internet. The ability to operate without an internet connection is the standout feature of desktop applications. Moreover, these applications are developed to run in isolated environments so the security and privacy offered are more secure. Complete storage of data on personal gadgets aid in the safe and rapid execution of strategies. In a nutshell, no connectivity requirements, manual installations, and limited accessibility but top-notch security are the characteristics of desktop applications that contrast with web-based ones.
•Why are toolkits and frameworks essential for developing desktop applications?
The saying goes, ‘If you fail to plan, you plan to fail’. Similarly, developing an application requires an appropriate framework to ensure the development process remains cost-effective and proficient. Consequently, frameworks and toolkits are a prerequisite for application developers and creators to achieve the desired developments within brief deadlines, to achieve maximum yields and gains.
Listed below are some of the benefits that are guaranteed when resorting to application frameworks and toolkits. Feature-packed: By using frameworks and toolkits, you can get your hands on the countless features they provide.
Economical: Increased profit margins are achieved because developers can create complex applications swiftly without risking quality.
Customization: Application developers can customize their applications according to customer requirements by using toolkits, thus enhancing client satisfaction.
Foolproof product: Although desktop applications require minimal coding as compared to web-based, a risk for errors remains. Using toolkits and frameworks eliminates the fallacies by diminishing vast coding nuisances.
Let’s walk you through the top 8 frameworks and toolkits for your next desktop application development, along with prominent elements. So, if you’re a company interested in signing on expert developers or you’re a developer yourself, keep reading to become acquainted with promising platforms.
1. Electron JS
– Cross-platform: It allows you to develop cross-platform applications for Linux, Windows and macOS, using a single code base.
– Automatic updates: This feature allows the programmers to ensure that users have access to the latest features as desktop applications can update themselves after they have been installed.
-Open source: A vast community of developers actively collaborates to assist the users with fixing performance issues.
The best pick that allows developers to integrate any framework across all major operating systems.
– Bundle Size: Tauri enables its users to create tiny, blazing-fast binaries. The app size can be as less as 600 kB by using OS’s native web renderer.
– Built on rust language: The ‘Rust Language’ is regarded as the language of the next generation of applications and this software framework makes use of it.
– Relicensing and redistribution: By using MIT or MIT/Apache 2.0 licensing feature, Tauri has made relicensing and redistribution a trouble-free process.
– Compatibility: Their brownfield feature enables compatibility with any type of front-end framework so the developers can create desired desktop application interface.
A cross-platform developmental tool for developers with basic web development skills, to create applications across major desktop operating systems.
– Rich Framework: Xojo takes assistance from graphics, database servers, and internet protocols to enable its users from any experience level to create their application within an hour.
– Drag and Drop UI: Operating on drag and drop UI, Xojo allows its users to create a user interface swiftly, by making use of built-in controls.
– Native Controls: To create native apps across multiple platforms while using the same developmental tools, Xojo has over 40 built-in interface controls.
– Advanced Features: While Xojo remains the ideal choice for beginners, those having expertise in web development can also benefit from this tool as it supports inheritance, interface, polymorphism, and more.
4. Flutter on desktop
More commonly, it is used for mobile application development. However, it is also a popular choice among developers for desktop applications.
– Independent of Browser Engines: With high performance at the core of strategy, this platform drives native-compiled performance without any dependence on browser engines.
– Native Functionality: With no compromise on compatibility and performance, you can build high-quality desktop applications through provided access to Cocoa, Win32, and UNIX platform APIs.
– Cross-platform: With Flutter on Desktop, you can target more audiences as it provides application frameworks for significant operating systems including Linux, Microsoft, and macOS.
An application development framework for developers that have expertise in JS React. Uncomplicated installment and command-in-line tools enable the creators to develop robust and manageable applications.
– Easy to use: With its marvelous React library and related tools, a full framework to attend to developers is available on this platform.
– Performant: Regardless of the size and complexity, Enact ensures the applications remain high-performing.
– Customizable: This platform can cater to individual requirements due to its customizable widgets that can be tuned as required.
– Adaptable: With Enact as an application framework, you can utilize native application-like features for various operating platforms.
6. Universal Windows Platform (UWP)
A computing platform that allows creators to develop desktop applications, particularly for Windows 10 and 11.
– Adaptive controls: Using this platform, applications are developed that can adjust to different modes of control such as game controllers, mouse, and keyboards.
– Responsive formats: Developers can build user interfaces that can adapt to density per pixel and screen sizes.
– Monetization: Features such as in-app purchases and advertisements as well as defining download fees are the monetization strategies that users can pertain to.
7. WPF Toolkit
‘Toolkit plus for WPS’ by Xceed is the toolkit of preference for professional developers striving to create high-performing desktop applications for Windows.
– Multiple editions: Xceed software offers their WPF toolkit in basic and extended editions which developers can opt for according to their expertise.
– Legalized: This free toolkit is provided under Xceed Community License Agreement so its users don’t have to bother about the legal aspects of application software.
– Extensive framework: In addition to multiple controls and components, a comprehensive resource library handy for developers is an element of the WPF Toolkit.
– Multiple Tools: Besides an impressive window manager, this platform also offers a GUI toolkit, application APIs, file system abstractions, etc. for the aid of developers.
– Web pack: The Os.js framework comes with a web pack that contains numerous packages and modules to add different functionality features to the desktop application.
Conclusion: When developing desktop applications, it is necessary to select the best framework that can serve as a foundation for your creations. The above-mentioned frameworks and toolkits can be utilized to acquire a structure, boost performance and focus your grind on the details that will make your application one in a million.